Here are thirteen differences between our old littermaid and our new one.
1.) Our old box was a bit narrower and shorter than the new one. It doesn't fit well on the "stand" Mom has put together for it.
2) Our new box bottom comes apart more easily to clean.
3) Our new box has a removable raking arm to make it easier to clean.
4) Our new box has a clock on it.
5) The clock enables us to turn it off at night if we need to.
6) Our new litter box is quieter than our old one.
7) We were used to the loudness of the old one, so we don't need to turn off the raking arm at night. Besides, with 3 cats using it, we wouldn't do that anyway.
8) Our new litter box emits ions after the raking arm scoops.
9) Our old litter box's scoop doesn't fit the rake of the new one - it came with a new scoop. We now have 3 scoops. One for the big stuff, and 2 small ones to clean the tines of the rake.
10)The rake on the old litter box had plastic tines. The new one has metal ones.
11) It seems to be lighter weight than our old one.
12) This one hasn't gotten stuck yet. Our old one would get stuck about once every couple of days. Especially with Tiki's pee problems. This one seems to power thru it.
13) This one came in a lot more pieces that Mom had to put together (and she did it without looking at the instructions). She said it was very self-explanatory.
All in all, we like our new littermaid litter box. Mom says she is having to scoop it less (our old one wouldn't pick up the stuff stuck on the bottom of the box - we like to pee deep). It also seems to hold a bit more litter, so it doesn't need to be filled quite as much. If any of you are thinking of getting an automatic litter box, we love ours. We have only ever had one litter box to share between the three of us, never knowing that the rule of thumb is supposed to be one per cat plus one (we have no idea where we would even put that many). Having the automatic box is like having fresh litter all the time. As we said on Monday's post, we have had one since they were invented, and love it.
Mom has changed the set up a little tho because the "box" for waste is too small to handle 3 cats. She bought 2 plastic drawers that were big enough to hold the litter box and put them back to back. She turned one upside down, but pulled the drawer out and put that one back in right side up. The other drawer is where she stores some of our supplies. She lines the right side up drawer in the upside down box with a trash bag and doesn't put the "box" that comes with the automatic box where it goes. Our waste dumps into the trash bag lined drawer. She pulls the bag out a couple of times a week and throws it away and puts a new bag in. She never has to touch anything, and everyone is happy. The drawer system also seems to contain all of the smell. We will take pictures of our set-up if you would like us to.